Sprains and Strains Treatment Clinic Q&A
Learn the causes, symptoms, and treatment of sprains & strains at Mercy Medical Clinic. Call us today for more information or schedule an appointment online! We are conveniently located at 615 S Highway 78 Suite 100 Wylie, TX 75098.
Table of Contents:
Sprains occur when a ligament becomes stretched out to the point it becomes injured or torn. Ligaments are known as the tough band of fibrous tissue which connects two bones together within the joints.
While a strain can be a stretched or torn muscle or tendon within the body. The tendons are tissues which connect a muscle to the bone. They can become twisted or pull the tissues which easily causes the strain. Strains often happen suddenly; however, they also can develop over time.
The main difference between the two is the injury of the bands in which the tissue connects. Sprain connects two bones together, whilst a strain involves an injury to the muscle or tendons which connects a band of tissue to a muscle or bone.
The most common treatment method that is used for strains and sprains involves the RICE method, which is when you rest the injured area, ice it, compress it with a bandage and elevate the area to help bring any swelling down. Some will also use pain relievers to help relieve any pain that comes from an injury like a strain or sprain. However, depending on the severity, any later treatments done after using the appropriate RICE method, exercises, stretches, physical therapy, and massage will help.
Sprains or strains are provided grades in regards to the severity of the sprain or strain.
Grade 1 Strain or Sprain is considered mild, with the tissue being stretched.
Grade 2 strain or sprain is considered moderation, in the sense it involves stretching and some tearing of the tissue.
Grade 3 is the final grade, and is considered severe. This is when the tissue has tearing or has completely torn.
While many believe you can tell from the pain or other symptoms due to the sprain or strain how severe it is, it comes down to the doctor’s examination and any ultrasounds or x-rays needed to review how severe the injury actually is.
There are many common signs and symptoms you may notice when you are dealing with a strain or sprain, they include:
• Limited mobile ability of the affected joint
• Hearing or even feeling a popping noise in the joint at the time of injury.
It is highly recommended you see a doctor to evaluate the injury, as they can be serious in nature without you even knowing about it. If you are noticing any of the following, immediately see a doctor at Mercy Medical Clinic:
• Cannot move or put any weight on the affected joint
• Pain directly over the bone of the affected joint
• Numbness occurring in any area near the affected joint
We see too often, patients coming in weeks to months after they have dealt with a sprain or strain, complaining about pain and looking for treatment methods to help. If you leave a strain or sprain untreated, the initial injury will heal on its own which may cause further damage and can cause more pain, become unstable, and lead to chronic pain, swelling, and sometimes arthritis.
We highly recommend you DO NOT do these when you have a sprain or strain:
1. Do not walk on it or try to ignore the injury itself, with severe strains and sprains they should immediately be immobilized and have a medical professional look at it for an examination for diagnosis and proper treatment to be applied
2. Ignoring the injury or acting like it never happened is a huge risk factor for future sprains or strains down the road and can lead to further issues. Again, if left untreated, or treated incorrectly, the injury can lead to instability, and possibly arthritis.
3. Delaying treatment is not recommended, as the ligaments should be re-positioned into a more stable position to enable them to start healing correctly when the injury is still fresh and the body is sending signals to start healing the sprain or strain.
If you are looking for a sprains and strains treatment specialist, call Mercy Medical Clinic today to set up an appointment online. We serve patients from Wylie TX, Lavon TX, Rockwall TX, Sachse TX, Allen TX, and Winningkoff TX.